Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Should Hammond go back to the original line?

Let me take you back to the beginning of the year, or maybe I’ll take you back to last year. Do you know what the difference is between 2007 and 2008? It has something to do with the cafeteria. Can you guess, if you can’t then I’ll tell you. The difference is that in 2007, everyone was standing up in the lines, now in 2008; we are sitting down while in the lunch line.
I believe that changing the line takes too long for students to get their lunch. When lunch is nearly over, there are still boys and girls in the lunch line. From http://www.gallupindependent.com/, Bill Donovan wrote that in Gallup high school, sometimes students have to stand in line for more than half of their lunch period (which is only 30 minutes), just to get their food. My survey results said that half of the students said that there hungry during AR or fifth mod almost every day! Also, for seventh graders, we have the last lunch of the day so if your at the end of the line, you might not get what their serving or what you want to eat. My survey results said that one out of four students said that it usually takes them 15 minutes or more to get their lunch.
Occasionally, I pack my lunch to school. My friends and I like to sit in the front table, but can we do that, no we can’t. We can’t go to the front table because students are sitting there to get their lunch. So, we have to sit at another table until the first table “clears up”. Not only that, the students who pack their lunch or get their lunch early are crowded in tables because the rest of the tables are being used up. Plus, the girls get the bigger side of the cafeteria when there are more boys than girls!
When people are trying to cut in the line, it usually means violence. In the original line, to cut in front of someone, they had to go in front of someone and that’s it. Although in this line, to cut someone had to take your seat by sharing a seat with you. Since there needs to be only 6 in one row for the row to move up or get in the lunch line, they need to kick someone out of the row and the “cutter” will most likely tell or push the other student off the chair. This is one of the reasons this new line was no improvement from the other line. My survey results said that three out of four students said that someone has cut in front of them in the line before.
The other line worked better than this one because when they are standing, the students who pack their lunch or get their lunch early can sit down wherever they want. Since they can sit down wherever they want, that will reduce the amount of students standing up and walking around. So wouldn’t you like to go back to the original line? Take a trip down memory lane and relive 2007’s cafeteria. If you do great, then you agree with me, the line should be decided by the students, because after all, we have something to say too.



2 comments:

knightro said...

I feel that you are right about that, and I also agree with you on the cutting in line, but I disagree with you because since the change,I have gotten my lunch faster because one may be a problem to share a seat, but lots of friends of other people weren't stopped to cut in line with the last line, so I disagree with your reasons.

sing_a_song said...

I noticed that people sit down at tables now instead of standing up when they get their food too. I usually get my lunch (when I eat school lunch), after everyone else, so I don't have the problem of people cutting me in line. My friends and I also got kicked out of our table and had to sit somewhere else. There was less space before than now though.